1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
It is available for completion on October 1st of each year for the next academic year. Enter school code:
UNIV OF AR FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES 001109
(listing the incorrect school code could considerably delay your financial aid)
2. Receive a Student Aid report by email within 4-6 days after the FAFSA is submitted (if a valid email address was included when the FAFSA was filed.) If a valid email address was not provided or if the name and social security number do not match with the Social Security Administration’s records, the student will be mailed a paper Student Aid Report within 2-4 weeks.
- Review the Student Aid report and make sure everything is correct. Please verify that the school code lists:
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences 001109.
- Make any corrections on the FAFSA website by using your FSA ID or notify our office to make corrections.
3. Once UAMS receives your FAFSA you will receive a notification offering one of two dispositions:
- Your application is complete and there is no further action required at this time, or
- Your application requires more information and will include instructions on what items/forms are needed.
This notification will direct you to the UAMS GUS Student Portal and will be sent via email to your UAMS email account.
4. Upon completion of your student aid file and determination of eligibility, an award notification letter will be emailed to your UAMS email account. The notification will again direct you to the UAMS GUS Student Portal to indicate the following:
- Intent to accept or decline the loan as awarded
- Intent to reduce loan amount as awarded (optional)
5. Complete Entrance Loan Counseling online at www.studentaid.gov.
6. Sign the Direct Loans Master Promissory Note(s) (MPN) online at www.studentaid.gov .
- Our office will receive electronic confirmation of the completion of the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note(s) within 2 days of submission.
7. Once the above steps are satisfied, loan funds are transmitted electronically to UAMS and applied to your UAMS account on the designated disbursement date. This is known as a financial aid disbursement.
8. If you have a remaining balance after your financial aid has been applied to your UAMS account, you are responsible for making payment. If the financial aid disbursement creates a credit balance on your UAMS account, a refund will be issued to you from the Bursar’s Office. Please note the difference between a financial aid disbursement and a credit balance refund.
If you have questions concerning financial aid, please contact our office at (501) 686-5451 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions concerning tuition payments, disbursement dates and refunds, please contact the Bursar’s Office at (501) 686-6128.