Prepare to Learn
- Survey the material to be covered before the class. This can be done in approximately 30 minutes.
- Skim the material to get a big picture. You can read learning objectives, major headings and subheadings, and graphical presentations of the material.
- If you are reading a textbook you can use the SQ4R method (Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Reflect, and Review).
Active listening and note-taking during class
- Ask questions if you don’t understand
- Write annotated notes instead of trying to write “everything”.
- Pay attention to signals from lecturers about important information.
- Different tone of voice or body language
- “It is important to know”
- “You should remember”
- “The exam will cover”
- Amount of time that a lecturer spent to cover a concept
- Definitions graphs, tables, charts
- Summaries, and re-statements of important points
©UAMS Student Success Center/ Vuk, J. M.D., Ph.D. July/2015